Schanck Observatory

Location

470 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

According to Special Collections and Archives at Alexander Library, the Schanck observatory was built by the University in 1865 in honor of Daniel S. Schanck of New York. The building is a reproduction of the Tower of Winds, a monument located in Athens, Greece, in reference to the eight winds in Greek Mythology. The Schanck Observatory was originally built for the purpose of astronomical obervations, and in its early history was utilized by corporate astronomers as well as members of the University community.

Building number: 
3005
Campus: 
College Avenue