Kirkpatrick Chapel was erected in 1873. It was named after Mrs. Sophia Astley Kirkpatrick. She was the wife of Littleton Kirkpatrick, trustee of Rutgers College from 1841-1859, and a member of First Presbyterian Church of New Brunswick. Rutgers College was made a residuary legatee of the Kirkpatrick estate at her death. Kirkpatrick Chapel was built from Mrs. Kirkpatrick's bequest of $61,054.57. Source: Catalogue of Building and Place Names at Rutgers.