Headlee Research Laboratories

Location

178 Jones Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

This building was formally the Headlee Research and Mosquito Control Labs. This building, named after Thomas Jefferson Headlee was approved by the Board of Governors, on October 12, 1973. Headlee was born in 1877 and died in 1946. He succeeded Dr. John B. Smith at Rutgers in 1912 until his retirement in 1943; outstanding accomplishments in Economic Entomology and in the practical aspects of mosquito control; gained world-wide recognition for NJ and Rutgers by creating through the State and County organizations to control mosquitos, especially the salt marsh mosquito, because the NJ seashore recreational industry was made possible; enlarged the teaching of Entomology at Rutgers and provided both a background in the field for undergraduates and training of many economic entomologists at the graduate level. Source: Catalogue of Buildings and Place Name

Offices: 
SEBS - Entomology
Building number: 
6120
Campus: 
Cook