Bishop House was erected in 1852 and named after James Bishop (1816-1895). Bishop was engaged in mercantile pursuits in New Brunswick and was prominent in the rubber trade in New York City. From 1855-57 Bishop was a Whig member of the U.S. Congress. Later Bishop was Chief of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1878-93. Source: Catalogue of Buildings and Place Names at Rutgers.